Owning your VPS is akin to owning your own dedicated server: you
have full root/administrator access and can install and run any
software you like. The following is a short list with examples of
the types of applications you can run, but the simple answer is you
can run any kind of software designed to run on a server:
- Web servers - the most popular use. Apache, Nginx, IIS, and
others can all be used.
- Web applications; free applications are available for almost
every task. Wordpress, Mediawiki, Joomla, Drupal are all
- Development platform; popular languages are PHP, Java, .NET,
Ruby, Perl, and Python.
- Database servers; like MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server and
- Mail servers; Postfix and Exim are popular on Linux, or
Exchange on Windows.
- Source control servers; like Subversion or Git.
- File servers and/or a remote backup location.
- Foreign exchange trading software, like MetaTrader
- Proxy server or VPN.
- DNS server.
- IRC "bounce" clients like ZNC.
- BitTorrent clients.
- Asterisk server.
If you have a specific application in mind and are unsure if it
is compatible with a VPS then we would be happy to find out for you.
All our servers are locally hosted in Australia and our services
is targeted specifically at Australians, ensuring you get the best
possible performance for your VPS.